St. John’s is one of the most revered landmarks in downtown Indianapolis. Standing for nearly 150 years in the heart of the downtown business district, St. John’s serves a diverse group of parishioners that range from traditional parishioners to visitors to our homeless neighbors– all worshiping in an atmosphere of truth, goodness, and beauty. Join us as we “Open Wide the Doors to Christ” here at St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church, where Heritage and Hope meet.
As the first Catholic parish established in Indianapolis, St. John was its pro-cathedral from 1871 to 1907. The diocesan Chancery was housed here until 1968 and the Metropolitan Tribunal was here until 1982, when all Archdiocesan offices moved into the original Cathedral High School building at 14th & Meridian Streets, across from SS. Peter & Paul Cathedral (which was built in 1906 to become the cathedral of the newly-established Diocese of Indianapolis, founded in 1834 as the Diocese of Vincennes).
Over the years St. John parishioners have worked to keep the building and parish life in outstanding condition. In 2009, Archbishop Emeritus Daniel Buechlein named St. John’s as a parish hub for young adult ministry. It was at this time that the current pastor, Fr Rick Nagel, was brought to St. John’s, who serves as the pastor of St. John's and the Campus Chaplain for IUPUI (Indiana University, Purdue University- Indianapolis)
Learn more about our early history here.